January 11, 2017

An Introduction and an Explanation


Hello and welcome to my blog. First of all I can tell you that there won't be a consistent theme throughout all my posts. Most of what I write is dependent on mood swings, current fictional crushes, what I had for breakfast that day, etc. What I can tell you is that this isn't my first blog, although I've contributed to others.  I used to run a blog dedicated to horror films entitled Werewolves Beating a Dead Horse. It's still out there, although a bit neglected. Someday I might return to it.

Sooo...you might be asking yourself. Licentious Howler? Why that exactly? Well sit down a spell, pour yourself a cold glass of something good and let me tell ye the tale.

One morning around Christmas time, I woke up with a song in my head that I couldn't get rid of. After searching through the dusty file cabinets in my brain for half an hour I was finally able to figure it out. It was the traveling theme from Final Fantasy III on SNES.  I messaged my brother that he had to bring the game to Christmas because I had to play it. I knew not why, because I played it 20 something years ago (borrowed it from him then too) but I needed to play it NOW.

The one thing I remembered (apart from the music) was the beautiful illustrations by my favorite artist, Yoshitaka Amano. But I have to admit - time, along with memory lapses, made me forget a lot of the plot and characters. During my replay, I rediscovered Cyan. I LOVE CYAN. This is Cyan.
Anyways, during a strange moment in the game Cyan, who recently lost his wife and child, is propositioned by a woman of ill repute in a bar. He....doesn't take it well (understatement). "How DARE YOU! YOU LICENTIOUS HOWLER!" he cries and one can imagine his face twisting in fury as he screams at the poor girl who probably just couldn't resist his sweet ass 'stache and rampant machismo. He then goes on a rant about how proper women should have some decency and modesty before running into a wall and bonking himself on the ground. Morality hurts.


Not only did I fall in love with the character but I fell in love with the term 'Licentious Howler'. After playing that scene I wanted to start a band so we could call ourselves The Licentious Howlers. I wanted Licentious Howler to be my screen name for everything I signed up for. I wanted to adopt a wolf baby and name it Licentious Hower. But sadly, I lack sufficient musical talent, changing all my screen names would be a bitch, and wolf babies are not easy to come by so instead I decided to write a blog.

So that's the introduction and the explanation and if you've stuck around to the end of this post you've got a better concentration span than I do. Stay tuned for more silliness in the upcoming weeks.

4 comments:

Speaketh thee up!